Job title: Education Capital and Planning Intern
An exciting 12 months (with option to extend to 15 months) placement opportunity has arisen for a graduate working in the Education Capital and Planning team, London Borough of Waltham Forest.
The Education Capital and Planning Team (ECP) cover a number of key areas within the Families and Homes’ Directorate. The Team’s main purpose is to provide a technical client side function to all school property investment decisions that affect the delivery of education within Waltham Forest.
Please ensure that you are available to start immediately and can travel to Walthamstow (E1).
We will be shortlisting ASAP so please apply immediately if you are interested in the vacancy and can travel to this location.
Key tasks will include:
The Postholder will provide support essential to the whole team but primarily to the Schools Asset Manager.
Key tasks will include:
- Supporting the Education Capital & Planning Team in the co-ordinating and consultation of other service areas (primarily Planning and Capital Programmes School Delivery projects)
- On Asset Management (site visits and updating information on school buildings and maintaining accurate asset information in Concerto (the council’s asset management system)
- Liaising with senior managers to organise and facilitate meetings and workshops as and when required
- Supporting the Schools Asset Manager in advising on current standards and providing guidance on maintenance, technical, health and safety and other property-related matters
- Updating the Property Management Handbook ensuring it is user friendly
- Support the Schools Asset Manager with the monitoring of schools’ management of projects and their custodianship of premises
- Support the Schools Asset Manager in seeking funding opportunities, supporting the education community to identify funding or bid opportunities and support applications
- To engage and work collaboratively with colleagues including planners, housing, highway and property colleagues to deliver good, robust and quality built school environments
- Ensure all the legislative and statutory changes to schools (including enlargement and closures) are kept up to date and communicated effectively
- Manage small projects under the direction of the relevant Team member e.g. managing the updating of school site plans, Access Audits
- The Graduate Placement will also have an opportunity to input to the admissions team, and to liaise with other council services as opportunities arise ensuring a variety of learning opportunities within a local government setting.
This position would be best suited to a recent graduate with a degree in building surveying, facilities management, planning, architecture, construction or facilities management. An interest in buildings, education, asset management and team working to bring tangible benefits to local families through the project work undertaken by the local authority and schools would be desirable.
The successful candidate will also need to have;
- An up to date enhanced DBS check (would be ideal)
- Knowledge in AutoCAD (essential)
- At least 3 months’ work experience in any sector
- An interest in buildings, education, asset management (essential knowledge) and team working to bring tangible benefits to local families through the project work undertaken by the local authority and schools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Microsoft office skills (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Excellent work ethic
- A proactive and hardworking approach
- The ability to work well within a team as well as use your initiative to solve problems
- Excellent time management skills
£357 per week